Thursday, February 4, 2016

Week 3 Storytelling: Small Gesture, Big Impact

"Well, hello there, Felix! Welcome to the show! Have a seat on this old couch and it's nice to meet you!" said Jimmy Kimmel.

"It's nice to be here, Jimmy. Thanks for having me!" said Felix. 

"So tell me, Felix, how have you been since your role in your first major Hollywood film? A romantic drama film filled with friendship, deceit, and love," asked Jimmy. 

"It has been such a whirlwind actually! I didn't expect this movie to become so popular as it did and it was just a blessing being able to work with so many amazing actors that have influenced me over time," responded Felix.

"Well, you did a great job and I bet that your life has changed a bit since it came out, huh?" asked Jimmy. 

"Oh, most definitely! I can't say that I've ever been chased by paparazzi and been recognized in so many places before the movie came out," said Felix. 

"You better get used to it then, because I'm sure all the girls are just waiting for you to show your face and chase you down the street!" said Jimmy. 

"Ha ha, yeah, I was never the better looking one in high school, so it's a weird feeling for sure! They can be pretty crazy too; I never thought that I'd have to hide out in public like I have to sometimes do now," said Felix. 

"Ha! Are you telling me that you have had to hide from fangirls just on the street?" asked Jimmy.

"Oh yeah! I will never forget this one time I was just walking down the street minding my own business when I heard a couple of girls gossip with each other while passing me saying, 'Girls, that's totally him, I'm serious, my future husband,'" said Felix.

"Oh no! How did you get away from that?" asked Jimmy.

"Well, I started walking a little faster once when I heard them talking, which was good because it gave me a head start, and then I just started weaving through the crowds and trying to throw them off my track. Finally, as they were about to get closer, I turned off really fast into some store where I ran into this little girl who was there with her mother. Turns out her mom owned the store, so that's why she was there but she was the cutest little thing with a yellow dress with the frilly white socks and a red bow in her hair. She laughed at me when I was panting and asked me what I was doing. When I told her that some girls were following me, she led me to the back of the store and sat me down on the ground. She then put some boxes around me behind the counter and then sat on top of them to cover up my face. Sure enough those crazy girls came into the store in a tizzy and were searching every corner. The little girl just smiled at them and waited till they left to get down from the box to let me out. Ha ha, the mom came out from the back and was concerned as to who I was and why I was behind the counter," explained Felix.

"Yeah, she was probably thinking you were about to rob the place," joked Jimmy. 

"After leaving the counter and apologizing for using her place as a hideout, she then realized who I was and then I gave them my autograph and took a picture with them as thanks for their help. I waited around and talked to the girl and her mom for a tiny bit longer until I felt like the coast was clear and then went on my way. Oh man, I'd just like to say thanks again for that little girl. I don't think I would've been able to escape alone!" said Felix.

"I don't know, you might have to get used to it, Felix, if you're going to be in any more chick flick movies! You'll have to find a better escape route for all those crazy teenagers wanting to marry you!" said Jimmy.

"I know, right? I need to come up with a plan because I don't think I'll be as lucky to find that little angel again to save me. Seriously, of all the people that could have helped, it was a child who saw my struggle and helped me," remarked Felix.

"Well, I hope you make it out alive again because we'll want you back on the show soon!" said Jimmy.

"I'd love to come back and thanks for having me!" said Felix.
Jimmy Kimmel (flickr)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Author's Note: I used The Ballad of Saint Felix to write this story. In the original story, it was about Saint Felix who was being chased by the soldiers who were going to kill him for being a Christian. He barely got away from the soldiers and hid in a little crevasse where a little spider formed a strong web around the opening so the soldiers would not find him. He stayed there till it was safe to leave and had the help of a woman who kept him hidden in a well until it was officially safe for him to come back into the public. In my story I chose a child instead of a spider and her mom instead of the other woman who helped him hide. Sometimes I find that reading a story about people instead of animals is easier to connect with and apply to our lives. I also decided to tell this story in a way of an interview. This way there was some comedic relief throughout the whole story. I chose The Jimmy Kimmel Show because he is really good listening to a story and making it better without really even trying. This story shows how we forget how important a child or a spider is in this world and that they can have a huge impact on a person. This impact can even save a person's life. 

Bibliography: The Ballad of Saint Felix. The Book of Saints and Friendly Beasts. By Abbie Farwell Brown in 1900.

15 comments:


  1. Claire, what a great story! I have never heard of “Ballad of Saint Felix,” but it sounds like a really interesting story! Overall, I really like the way you formatted your story. I like how the paragraphs at the beginning were short and easy to read. I would recommend that you keep that formatting style throughout your entire story! I noticed that the short paragraphs kept me very engaged and left me wanting to read more! I also liked the simple colors that you chose. The black font with the white background made it easy to read the text. The only thing I would suggest is adding more pictures throughout the story. I have noticed that when I read stories with more pictures, I am able to vision the story better. I would also maybe add a few more quotes to give the characters more personality. Overall, I really enjoyed this story and thought that you were a great writer! Have a great semester!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was such a creative story Claire! I love that you decided to do something fun with this story, it seems like the original might have been a bit intense. I like the idea of a child or spider helping someone out, especially someone famous. I always love stories with dialog, I think they are just more entertaining and easier to read. It’s also easier to set up a scene and understand what’s going on when we are reading a real conversation between two people. One suggestion I would have would be to maybe of put a picture of Felix in the story, so we could have a visual of what he looked like. This would just help with setting up the scene in our minds. Overall this was a great story though! Your commentary was very realistic to what I would imagine a conversation would be like on the Jimmy Fallon show. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Claire, what a great style you chose to do for this story! I really love Jimmy Kimmel so that was the first thing that drew me in as a reader. I too have never heard of of the "Ballad of Saint Felix" but this seems like a very interesting story to read about! I also agree with Madison, the beginning of the story was very easy to read while it slowly built up to an overall interesting story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoyed your story, and I thought it was a very good interpretation of the original story. I had never heard of the story of Saint Felix, but I was very entertained by your story. My favorite part was when the girls came into the store, and the little girl just smiled at them! It was also very original that you had him talking to Jimmy Kimmel on his talk show! I think it would have been really cool if he came out from the store and saw the group of girls down the street and managed to get away by walking the opposite direction! I also wonder what the mom was thinking about how her daughter was so clever in hiding Felix. It would have been awesome to hear a conversation between the mom and the child after Felix left the store! Overall I thought your story was organized very well, and the breaks in your paragraphs made the story easier to read!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is awesome! The fact it involved Jimmy Kimmel had me interested right away. I have seen him and Jimmy Fallon both over the last few years and they are both hilarious. Overall I liked how you tied the real story in and thought it was interesting, especially in the unique format you wrote it in. I could almost picture it on TV. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a great story! I too love Jimmy Kimmel, what a great way to include him in your story! I loved the format you chose to write in, made it very easy to follow. And since I watch Kimmel pretty often, I felt like this could have just been another episode!

    I think my only critique would be to separate your paragraphs a little differently, because it would make it easier for me as the reader to follow. What I mean by this is that you have some really long paragraphs, followed by some other very short ones. This gives an odd feel and pace.

    However, I thought your story was great. I love the image you chose, just a good picture of Jimmy. I also checked all of your links, and they led me to exactly where they should. What a great story, I really enjoyed it! Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, what a sweet story! I loved how the little child ended up saving Felix by hiding him behind boxes. I laughed out loud when I thought of the crazy girls who had a crush on Felix. I thought the way you formatted your story was incredible! It was very easy to read and gave me more insight to what the characters personalities were like. The quotes were very well written as well. After reading the story, I would maybe recommend adding a few more photos to really bring the story to life! Maybe you could add a photo of the cute little girl who saved Felix. Also, what if Felix had a major crush on the little girls mom and asked her on a date at the end? That could be a fun plot twist! Overall, you did an amazing job with this story! Keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Claire, I really liked how you changed this story to fit modern times! I thought that was very clever. I really liked how the mom and the daughter helped him hide in the store so he could avoid all the fangirls. It's a little weird that they automatically helped a stranger out, but maybe both the mom and the daughter had been in similar situations before? The only thing I would suggest revising is sentence structure and formatting. Some of your sentences were a little wordy, but most of them looked great! Regarding formatting, some of your quotes were not in individual paragraphs. I think that if you separated them in individual paragraphs they would be easier to read. On the other hand, I love your Portfolio background! Those mountains are so pretty and make such a nice background color! Overall, great job and I look forward to reading more of your stories for this class!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great story! I really like watching Jimmy Kimmel so it was cool to see you use him in this story. I like how the story was an interview and you got to see the characters talk back in forth in a conversation format. It made the story more realistic in my opinion and even a bit more personal. I liked how it was the little child that ended up saving Felix, for some reason it makes Felix seem like a better guy because he can be friendly with younger children. It also kind of made me laugh that he still had to end up signing an autograph and taking a picture. It made me wonder how hard it might be to be famous and deal with all that attention. Hearing about the original story was interesting too! I thought it was interesting to find out that it was a spider that helped Saint Felix out. Why do teenage girls get so obsessed with celebrities? haha Maybe it would be interesting to hear about why the teenage girl likes Felix so much? Or you could make it like an ex-girlfriend who is crazy and that is why she is looking for him everywhere? I thought it was a really great story though and I look forward to reading more in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Claire! This was a great way to retell your story and I am so glad that I chose to read your Portfolio this week! I love to watch Jimmy Kimmel, among numerous other late night show hosts, so I was thrilled to see that was the premise of your story. I think that you did a great job connecting the original story of Saint Felix with your Superstar Felix. I also liked how descriptive you were throughout the entire story, from the show to what the little girl was wearing! It definitely keeps the reader interested and wanting more. I am sure I have commented more than once about a celebrity being my future husband, and am now fully aware of how creepy that is. I think that your chase scene was really well done too, even adding the detail of Felix being out of breath! Overall, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well of course I had to read this when the snipit said it was based off Jimmy Kimmel- my favorite show ever! I love how you chose to change the spider to a person because it really helps your audience relate. And any time a small child is involved it typically pulls on the audience's heart strings. Just because kids are so darn cute. I also like how you made him a celebrity instead of a "bad guy" it gives the story that comic relieve you were looking for!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really enjoyed this story. I love that you made it into a talk-show interview. You did a great job and I could really picture the whole chase scene in my head. I would imagine that the sudden popularity that goes with being in your first blockbuster movie would be a bit frightening if you were not used to the attention. Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi! I chose your portfolio as my free choice this week because the summaries sounded quite interesting. I think you did a great job writing this as a talk show format. It was very easy to follow along and it sounded like it could have been real. I think you described the little girl so adorably that I can just picture her sitting on the boxes, smiling innocently, and swinging her legs while waiting for those crazy fan girls to leave the store. You making all the characters human made it easier to visualize, and nice touch on making the small animal a little girl, by the way. You made the actor dude sounded very friendly and down to earth, which would make it understandable why those crazy girls like him so much and were chasing after him. I really enjoyed reading this story and you did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Claire,
    I agree with you that it is easier sometime to relate to fables that use humans compared to animals. For me I just get to distract by the characters themselves to apply any type of lessons from the story to myself. The 'talk show style' was really original and made the story easy to read and understand. I also liked that you picked a popular host such as Jimmy Kimmel so that it would seem more realistic and believable to the audience. I like how you had then main male character Felix really emphasize his shock that a little girl was the one to save him in his time of need. It made it easier to relate it back to the original story of the spider helping the Saint. I enjoyed getting to read such alight hearted, easy going story. You still conveyed the fable well and retained my attention the whole time. Great job!

    ReplyDelete