Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Overview: UnTextbook

For week two I have chosen the classical unit Homer's Odyssey. I chose this topic because I read the Odyssey in high school and remember loving it, however, I don't remember most of it! I want to read again what I know I loved at one time.
Homer's Odyssey
(Odysseus and the Sirens)

Other units that I found interesting included:
Bible Women
There are less women than men named in the bible. When a woman is named or talked about in the bible, the one reading should know that that woman is indeed very important. I like reading about women in the bible because I can put myself in their shoes and try to imagine what I would've done if I were them.
Noah and the Ark
I've always loved this story for some reason. I guess it is because I imagine animals coming in two by two to stay in this ark that no one thought was going to be used. It is always one of those biblical stories that is told over and over to me as a child.
Women Saints of the Golden Legend
I love saints. I love learning about them, and I love reading about their courage, and I love that they were mere humans like me that used their love and made the world a better place. Saints always amaze me with their stories and I just love to learn about more.
Dante's Inferno
I also read Dante's Inferno in high school and thought it was so interesting. I enjoyed going level by level through all the types of sins and seeing how far down in hell they were considered. All of the imagery and descriptions of the people in hell are just amazing to read.
Saints and Animals
As I said before, I love the saints. Not only do I love the saints, but I also love animals. So putting these two subjects together is just a bonus. St. Francis of Assisi is also one of those saints that are just popular and mentioned at a young age and I am familiar with his story.

1 comment:

  1. I hope you will have fun with the Odyssey, Claire! That is such a great epic; I like the whole thing, but the most famous part is about Odysseus's voyages and his supernatural encounters, so that is the part included in the UnTextbook. And if you like that, check out the Adventures of Sindbad later on: the Arabic storytellers knew about Odysseus (his story was famous all over the Mediterranean world), and so they borrowed parts of the Odyssey to make up the stories of their own seafaring hero! :-)

    ReplyDelete