Thursday, April 7, 2016

Week 11 Storytelling: Best of Friends

I had a neighbor named Hank. He was the old man that lived across the street. I would see him sitting on his porch every afternoon petting his old corgi, Harry. Both Hank and Harry were lethargic and overweight. They even almost looked like each other. They would sit on the porch all afternoon and watch the world go by. When I was little he would just watch us play and smile. We always liked going up to him because he would always try to trick us with some riddles. He knew millions of them and most of the time we would never get them right. Where he learned all of these I will never know.
Hank (Pixabay)
Hank would say with a twinkle in his eye, 
"I went to the wood and got it; 
I sat me sown and looked at it; 
The more I looked at it the less I liked it; 
And I brought it home because I couldn't help it."

My friends and I would sit there stumped. Then Hank would laugh after us giving up and say, "A thorn!"

We would yell and ask for another one and Hank would always agree. 

"Long legs, crooked thighs,
Little head, and no eyes." 

And there again, we would all be stumped.

Hank would laugh and say, "A pair of tongs!"

Again Hank would start on his next riddle.

"There was a king met a king
In a narrow lane;
Says this king to that king, 
"Where have you been?"

"Oh I have been a hunting 
With my dog and my doe."
Pray lend him to me, 
That I may do so."

"There's the god take my dog."
"What's the dog's name?"
"I've told you already."
"Pray tell me again."

Hank would then ask, "What is the dog's name?"

After sitting there puzzled for a little while and after having him repeat it twice more, I finally yelled, "Take! The dog's name is Take!" 

Hank laughed while congratulating me and then said, "Now that you have gotten one right go on and play and I can tell you some more another time."

Over the course of my life I had heard hundreds of riddles from Hank. I would go and sit there and listen while petting Harry the entire time. I started writing down his riddles once when I noticed that he was getting older. I wanted to make sure that his legend lived on because he was always so much fun. The day he died the whole neighborhood mourned and all showed up to his funeral. Harry sat at the bottom of his casket the entire funeral. He was sad that he had lost his best friend. After the funeral I took Harry home and made him mine. He wasn't mine for long though. I only had Harry as a pet for three days before he died as well. I guess Harry died of a broken heart. I buried Harry right next to Hank at the gravesite and hoped them well. Now, I am the one that knows all of these riddles thanks to Hank and Harry, the best of friends. 
Harry (Wikipedia)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Author's Note: This week I decided to read the Nursery Rhymes Unit. I have always grown up reading and hearing nursery rhymes so I thought it would be nice to learn some more. When reading this unit, I discovered that I didn't want to just choose one nursery rhyme. I thought the riddles section was interesting and funny so I focused on them for my story. I decided to make this story about an old man and his dog. For me, I always think that older men and women have a lot of wisdom and have old phrases and sayings that they often use in daily conversation. I wanted to make this man a friendly fellow that had a best friend of a dog who loved to talk to people. Kids are always fascinated by older people so I thought that having the old man tell the kids riddles was going to be a good dynamic. I also wanted to show how close of a relationship the dog and the old man had together. I always love a man's best friend story as well. Lastly, I wanted the kid in the story to grow up to love the old man and have his riddles for the rest of his life. 

Bibliography: Nursery Rhymes Unit from the The Nursery Rhyme Book by Andrew Lang in 1897.

8 comments:

  1. I loved this story! You did a great job of writing it and creating a touching connection between man and his dog. I always hear people say how a dog looks like its owner and I thought about his with your story too. This is a very realistic story, and even though the old man and dog die in the end, it is still a very happy story. I thought all the riddles in the story were entertaining too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Claire! Wow your story is so creative! I love how you came up with an entire plot with an old man and his dog telling riddles to the kid from the neighborhood just from reading the nursery rhyme unit! I liked how you added spaces between the riddles so the reader understood what was happening at the time. Your story flowed and connected very well. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As soon as I started reading this story I knew I would love it, and I was right! I was a little freaked out at first because I have an older neighbor named Tommy who sits on his porch all day long with a bunch of stray-ish cats that he feeds. But instead of giving me and my roommate riddles, he tells us not to park in the street on garbage pickup day and that we should park going to opposite direction on the street unless we want a ticket. I loved your story because it was so realistic, and the rhymes were awesome additions!

    ReplyDelete
  4. First I want to comment on your wonderfully written author's note. It was so neat how you described the original story but also how you took us through your thought process of deciding to use the grandpa character, to use multiple riddles, and to use the kids as the audience. I think it was a great idea to retell the story in this way and I'm glad you thought of it. This story was really fun to read, I liked the dialogue between the characters and that it was a heartwarming story. I had this gut feeling that once the old man died his corgi wouldn't make it much longer.. and I was right. Its so sad but noble of animals to love us humans so wholeheartedly. I was glad the little neighbor girl took the dog in while she could. It is also cool to know that the riddles will live on through this girl; who knows maybe one day way in the future she will be the old lady on the porch telling these riddles to her neighbors kids.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoyed this story! I thought you did a really good job painting the scene for the reader in the beginning of the story. I can see the old man and the dog sitting there perfectly content and enjoying watching the neighborhood. I think the pictures you included were a huge help in helping me imagine the whole scene. It kind of made me think of the movie Gran Torino if you have ever seen it. I like how Hank knew a bunch of riddles. Quizzing the neighbor kids seems like such an old guy thing to do. I enjoy riddles as well so I liked that aspect of the story. I thought you did a good job making this story your own but also showing the influence from what you based it off of. I think the original author would have been happy seeing how it inspired you to write this story! Great job overall, it was enjoyable tor read!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Claire! This was such a touching story--I follow a lot of dog adoption stuff on various social media and it really breaks my heart when I see that there are old dogs whose owners died of old age, because generally no one wants to adopt old dogs! But your narrator was willing to, because of the relationship that they'd had with both the dog and the owner, and that made me really happy. I think this was a really great combination of things for a story in general--and I especially liked the way you worked the riddles in! Did you pick the riddles you did for any particular reason? If you did then you might want to stick that in the Author's Note...because I wondered...I liked the riddle about the dog, and I thought that it was a little funny that the dog's name was Take, and the narrator "took" in the dog...see: I said a LITTLE funny, it's late...anyway, great job, and good luck for the rest of the semester!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Claire! This is a great story! I have a huge heart for dogs so I love how touching this story was. It made my heart smile, and I always love a good story that makes me happy. Needless to say this was really enjoyable to read!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Claire! This story is sad but great! I thought it was a great touch to add in the dog who essentially lived for his master. I tried to solve the riddles as I went, and I can honestly say that I wasn't anywhere close to solving any of them. I have one idea that doesn't necessarily change your story, but could add further involvement for the reader. You could add a link at the bottom of your story that leads to more riddles. I know that after reading, I wanted to try and solve more riddles, so I would assume that other readers might want to do the same. Otherwise, great job on your story! Oh, and the dog is really cute, too. He reminds me of my sisters dog, except less fat. Anyway, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete